Thursday, December 07, 2006

Christmas is a time when you get homesick, even when you're home. (Carol Nelson)





I called Devan last week to ask her if we could drive over to Ludlow Falls sometime this Christmas season and visit this place I used to go to every year as a child (well, every year we were in Ohio anyway). She said, "if I can make that happen, sure!). Devan's from Dayton, and Ludlow Falls is a Dayton thing, so it only makes sense. Ludlow Falls is kind of amazing, kind of awful, I'm not sure which. It's this small gorge and waterfall that a local fire department decorates with tens of thousands of lights and decorations, and if you wait long enough into the season, the waterfall will freeze! It's meets two of my requirements for a fantastic evening out - sparkly lights and water. So they light it up usually around my birthday (just for me, I'm sure), and since that's next week, I thought I'd check that out online to find out the times and such.

Yeah. So the lights are out at Ludlow Falls. The Fire Department apparently called it quits. How sad! This was one of only two holiday traditions I even remember from my childhood. We so often were traveling from Virginia to Ohio, or vice versa, that traditions didn't really seem to have a place. We just had to GET where we were going, and then once we were there, get from one place to the othere. But Ludlow Falls! If we were in Ohio, we did that, and it was FANTASTIC! :-(

Oh well. There's always Clifton Mill, right? I tried to upload the pictures of Clifton Mill here, but Blogger's being stupid. Check it out here). Clifton Mill ain't nothing, as they say. It will never replace Ludlow Falls, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. I think I remember going there once in high school with some crazy friends. No. Literally. CRAZY.

But in happier holiday news, I found out today that the animated displays (pictures forthcoming) that used to be downtown at the Rike's Building are now on display at the Schuster Building! Wonderful! This obviously means nothing to those of you not from Dayton...but if you're ever swinging through! Now you know what to stop and see!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crap!! So do we just do Clifton, or what?! I get into Dayton on the 23rd and will leave the afternoon of the 25th. Let me know if you guys can come in or whatever.

Angie said...

Tanya - maybe you should go with with us...

Anonymous said...

I have some pictures of the Rike's windows (at the Schuster) on my blog! Take a look. It may help ease that homesickness! : )

Enjoy your blog!

Oh yeah, we are going to Clifton tomorrow. : )

Fond regards,
Sue