Sunday, September 17, 2006

5:21AM EGR REPORT.



The cool, arty, indie, punk, rock neighbors are REALLY no longer cool, arty, or rock. They're just punk neighbors.

And I found out just now that the teenaged kids are not brother and sister as my mom reported. They're dating. The boy just pounded on their door and ours until I answered. I HATE answering the door at 5AM (I really shouldn't probably, it's dangerous, and really could have been this time, too). He said, "Hey uh, I locked myself out and wondered if I could use your phone. They're not answering, and well, uh, I don't have any other place to go if they don't answer."

I noticed that he smelled that particular smell that I'm somehow familiar with (God only knows how) that one obtains when one hasn't showered in approx. six days, hasn't washed ones clothes in at least 10 (he was wearing the same ones he has been for the past four), and when one passes around a particular brand of rolled "cigarette." Yesterday, mom noticed a lot of scabs on his arms and legs, which she said she knows to be indicitive of crack use, but I said they could just be flea bites and wondered why she had to jump to such conclusions. I wondered a little less last night at midnight when I heard him outside the apartment screaming and hollering at someone all sorts of nasties about all sorts of things.

Oh, but back to the story. I told him that even if they didn't wake up, I had a number he could call for Emergency Maintainence where they would come let him in. He said, "Well, I'm not on the lease or anything like that. See I'm just seeing her daughhter who lives there, and we kind of had a fight and I got locked out earlier tonight, and so I'm not sure they're gonna let me in, and if they don't, I don't have any other place to go, so I hope they do (as he hangs up they phone), but they're not answering." I told him, "Well, you can keep knocking. They're probably just asleep. I heard you, I'm sure they will too."

The smell is wafting up the stairs and sticking itself into my nostrils. Is there a special febreze nasal version for that?

No comments: