Friday, July 21, 2006

NERDS R US

Guess where I'm writing this from? The downstairs of my apartment. I cancelled my home phone service today, and when the Time Warner guy came to give me a new modem because of that, he also fixed the wireless router set up so that I could actually USE my wireless network again! I've had a wireless router in my apartment for ?? what ?? eight months now ?? and have had my laptop hardwired to the old router and modem where Cristi's pc was hardwired for three of those months because we couldn't figure out how to make it wireless without the pc attached once she moved out. Ahhh... how nice to be able to do what I need to do on the computer and just sit on the couch/make lunch/watch tv/sit in front of window full of light instead of the wall full of paint! Yeah!

And now - I'm off to take a shower (I know, I know... it's noon! But - I woke up in the middle of the night last night! and so by the time I went back to sleep, woke up later than normal, I couldn't get in the shower because the TW guy was coming between 10 and 12!).

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Congrats on having wireless again. We have it and it's great, although Paul uses it way more than I do.

Hope you enjoyed your shower. What I wouldn't give to be able to go home and get one right now. Sounds odd, I know, but with the heat & humidity, I always feel like I need a shower, even if I just got out. lol. And, with a toddler running around, it would be nice to go home to an empty house and take my time in the shower and actually be able to thoroughly dry my hair.

I'm so excited to see pics from your trip, I check this blog about a hundred times a day.

Mobea said...

So how does that work? Is it cheaper than the other way? I would love to have wireless too, now that I have a laptop.

Angie said...

No - it's not like that.

"Wireless" has to do with where your laptop sits and can work from.

Basically - it allows you to work from anywhere in your house as opposed to just at your desk. But in order to do that, you have to have this special piece of equipment called a wireless router that hooks up to your digital modem (or whatever type of modem your internet provider gives you) and that router has to be working properly. Mine wasn't hooked up right, so my nifty "work anywhere in the house laptop" was having to work just like a "stuck in place pc." Half the fun of having a laptop in your house is being able to go whereever...

But no - being "wireless" doesn't do anything to the cost of your internet - you still pay for all of your services just the same. In fact, because you have this one time expense of the wireless router, technically, it's more expensive (but so much more fun because you can be anywhere on the net). OH! and all around the city, there are places called hotspots, or WI-FI zones where you can also hook up to the internet for free. Coffee shops, bookstores, hospitals, malls, office complexes, etc...