Sunday, July 02, 2006

WILD AT HEART



This is a photo of Robert, his nephew Matt and I at last year's fireworks display at Grove City. We played it like a tight little crew, tucked up in back of Bob's green Ford Ranger, along with Hannah, Matt's sister. Matt had the greatest time, oooing and aahing at all of the brilliant bursts of colors and sounds. We even have pictures of him jumping up and down at the excitement of it all. But this year, a different story will be told.

I don't think Matt could have put into words the fact that he noticed, but, I think the story hinges on the fact that big strong Uncle Bob was not there to protect the little boy Matt from the great big scary fireworks. At first, he decided that he wanted to sit in his own chair, because (I assume) that's what big boys do. They don't sit in the laps of aunts or cousins or friends like scaredy cats. So that's what he did. But as soon as the fireworks started, I could feel and see him tense up. And he said, "I want home." I said, "Matt, are you scared?" and he said, "Yes," and since his Aunt Katie was the first to invite him to sit with her earlier, I said, "Let's take you to sit with Aunt Katie, ok?" He said, "OK." So we did, and when he got over there, he put his baseball glove over his head like a helmet, to drown out the noise and protect his head from falling fireworks, I suppose. After a few minutes, he said it was still too loud, so Katie put her hands over his ears. She asked, "Are you scared?" and he said, "Yes."

She said, "When I was little, I was scared of fireworks, too."

And Matt...little boy Matt...who was himself very afraid at that moment, and was BEING protected at that moment...who last year sat unafraid in big strong Uncle Bob's lap, learning what it meant to be protected when you're afraid by a man who knows what it means to BE unafraid himself...said to his Aunt Katie,

"WHEN YOU WERE AFRAID, I WOULD HAVE COVERED YOUR EARS, IF I WERE A MAN."
and the way he said it, implied the meaning of "man" to be "mature male" not simply "male."

Katie, Brandi and I looked at each other like, "Did the little boy with a glove on his head just say that? Did he just understand this idea that a man's job is to protect a woman?"

And I (emphasis on me), thought to myself, is Matt scared this year because Bob is not here? He wasn't like this at all last year. Did Bob cover his ears last year, and that's where he learned that a "man" would cover your ears when you're scared? I know sometimes this blog turns into a "gush about Bob blog", but later in the evening, someone else caught onto this idea, too, so at least I'm not the only one gushing. There's a little boy in Grove City who feels safe watching fireworks with noone else but Bob, because my Bob - is a MAN, and little Matt Kinney knows it.

And you know - I'm not JUST saying that to gush about Robert. I'm saying that because there ARE dads reading this. And moms, too. Or soon to be moms and dads. You know, your kids are watching and listening. Your boys need men in their lives to know how to be wild and brave and strong. And everyone, if you haven't read Wild At Heart, by John Eldredge yet, you HAVE to read it. It's probably no coincidence that I was re-skimming it this morning just to check out some of my old highlights, huh? God probably wanted me to be tuned in for this interaction tonight.

"I would cover your ears if I was a man." Amen.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Thank you (she says with tears in her eyes)

Aimee said...

I love it when men are manly. It goes beyond so much more than being male. You really hit the nail on the head (as usual).

I haven't read Wild at Heart yet, but I want to... if only I had time to read something other than Goodnight Moon or Just Incase You Ever Wonder. :-)

Did you know that manly men have a place on their shoulder that fits perfectly with your head... so that your head rests comfortably on their shoulder. Like God created this "dip" in his shoulder specifically for you and your head.

Anonymous said...

ok, on this one I have comments but I don't know that they will swing with the crowd. I have read the book and I have some not so popular opinions. I get the idea of women being women and men being men. I understand the idea of men needing adventure, positive companionship, and dragons to slay (all that jazz). My feministic mind is off kilter. For me, the book desribes not just men being men, but some basic needs of humans in general. I don't think men are the only creatures that need adventure, dragons to slay, and someone to rescue. I don't think the book makes room for individuality or accounts for ethnic differences or even gender definition by societal standards. I was disgruntled when I read the book. I suppose I can leave it at that for now. I have more, but as I said I know my opinions are not quite targeted to the audience. It has been awhile since I've read the book, so I have no references to debate, just a rememberance of what I thought back then and how I felt.