Wednesday, July 26, 2006

WHERE'S WYLIE COYOTE WHEN YOU NEED HIM...

to drop a wacky bomb on Tim Warner? I was right in the middle of sending a couple of emails around the country when my internet went down! Ugh. It stayed that way for a while, so I decided I'd watch TV, which worked for a while, until my cable went out! So I thought I'd go take a shower (this was hours ago, btw). When I got out of the shower, both were still down, so I called TW, and they said, "Yes, we are experiencing some trouble in your area and don't have an ETA on when that will be fixed. Sorry."

Boo hoo hoo! hahaha... I mean, it's not like I don't have other things to do, but seriously, I depend on the internet way too much to DO some of those things. All I REALLY need to do today is finish these newsletters and videos for Prison Fellowship and finish the first mock up of the logo for FamJam!, but that's just one of those things - you use the net for bouncing those ideas back and forth to the boss - and for grabbing new graphics and so on... Yes, yes, I know there's this wedding upcoming and all, but I HAVE to get these things done, too.

Anyway - it appears to be fixed right this moment, so of course I had to tell you about it. At least if TW is going to screw up as badly as they have this year, it's awesome they sent us these apology coupons. Free tix to the CAPA movie series; discount tix to any Gateway movie theater (why didn't I think of that last week when we saw A Scanner Darkly?); and all sorts of other things.

And in other news? What was Will's strategy last night? I don't understand? Was it really to GET kicked off? Or was it just to TRY to look like he wanted kicked off so hard that they wouldn't?

3 comments:

Aimee said...

What are you talking about in the last paragraph?

Also, I didn't know you do freelance desktop publishing. Would love to hear more about it, such as what software you use, etc.

Angie said...

Really? You should have to go figure it out rather than me tell you.

I'm not a "real" designer...(meaning I don't use Adobe products). I mostly use MS Office products because for the people I've worked with so far, I'll make their existing projects LOOK better, and then pass it back to them, and they have to continue using the software they already know how to use. For graphics, I use JASC Paint Shop Pro, which is similar to Photoshop. For these videos, I'm just using Windows Movie Maker, again for the same reason that they have to be able to get into the files the same way I am here...

In SC, at the church I worked at before here, I was beginning to use Adobe Premiere to edit videos before I left (maybe four months into it), which was a lot of fun. Honestly, I like video more than desktop publishing - it's more fun, and I think I'm better at it. One of the things I loved about working at East Lake was getting to play with that stuff, and being with a crew of people who cared about it, too. Working with people (and with a church of people) who were creatively tuned that way - was great. They pulled me along and brought out a talent in me that I didn't know existed. It's why I know any of what I know today.

Aimee said...

OK. Big Brother 7. I never got into that show. Actually, the only "reality" show I ever got into was "The Apprentice" seasons 1 & 2. After that, they really sucked. However, I watched last season of "Project Runway." Santino cracked me up with his impersonation of the guy... what's his name? Anyway, I haven't seen any eps this season.

Don't you just love being around creative people? And being around people who CARE about what their work looks like, rather than just throwing stuff together?!

*sigh* That's why I miss my old job SO much. There was a standard and I grew so much, professionally and creatively. And, that's why I hate my job here. There's not really the standard to which I was used to before. That's also why I'm looking for other work... to be pushed, pulled and stretched.

Our church is cool, creatively speaking. The woman who does our website and all printed material now does it freelance because she has a little one who is about 6 months younger than Hannah.

I think you'd really like the Adobe products, if for no other reason than printers prefer them over MS. I miss them TERRIBLY. I'd love to have some training for PhotoShop, as I've never done that much before. Paul has done some editing on our computer for video, but nothing like what you've done. You can see his first work on our wedding website (check out my blog for the link). Click on Hannah's Ultrasound video.