Monday, August 07, 2006

HOW FLY IS HE?


Drew Carey is gettin' played out by Nick Cannon's "Wild N' Out." It's like TheaterSports on crack, and lucky for me, I've been able to watch it for hours today as I've been sending out some resumes.

Friday night, Bob and I went to a dinner gathering of the coordinators for Perspectives, a college level missions course offered across the country. Robert was a coordinator for the area last year, right about the time that we were meeting. I've known about Perspectives since I was in college, as it was always touted as THE course to take as an primer to missions. It seemed that the crew from the Springs had all taken it already, as a matter of fact, or at least everyone from New Life! Anyway...it sets the foundation for learning outside of an actual college environment (I know that much and I haven't even taken the course yet).

I mostly sat back and listened to everyone talk during the night, because they were talking about people and networks that I mostly didn't know (though some of the names, I did somehow). The evening reminded me of SAGA - and yes, I know that there is only one person reading this who will understand that. It was an evening of talking about what each person had done in their respective courses, what they could do better, what they were dreaming of doing, what they COULD do TOGETHER, and then what GOD is doing across the world through the people who have taken the course, or what they WANT Him to do. It was a little surreal as I realized that Robert is one of those people, and that I'm a part of him now. BUT REALLY, I've been a part of this sort of thing even before Robert. I have to remind myself that I have been equipping people to go on the field for years, even if I haven't gone myself just yet to the place where I've known I'm supposed to go. I have more than a few students who are missionaries, and lots of students who have gone on mission trips through my ministry and the ministries I've been a part of. There are students who have been in my ministry who are full time youth pastors now, who will be equipping their OWN students to be missionaries one day. THIS is what I do - equip others for the work of the ministry; equipping them to DO that thing that God has gifted them to do, whatever it is. HOW I do that looks like a lot of different things, and I don't know what it's going to look like exactly as we launch into this next adventure...but it will work itself out somehow, because that's what I do. It might not look like the same thing these Perspectives coordinators have done, though honestly - what they've done sounds AMAZINGLY cool because in that particular environment, to hear these people talk about how their courses equipped themselves and others to GO - *sigh* I'm so excited to see what is coming up for me (and us). It couldn't come quickly enough.

6 comments:

OTRgirl said...

I like your description of your wedding plans. The two of you are so funny. I do wish I could hear his stories. Hopefully I can hear Joan's versions soon!

Aimee said...

Heehee... SAGA. Don't hear that often... it's been a LONG time, actually. Thanks for the chuckle.

THOSE are the times/things I miss most. The excitement and passion about doing Kingdom Work.

I have to say, during those conversations, I always felt on the outside. I never really felt called to missions, except for once at ORU, to go to India. My parents wouldn't permit me and I couldn't go without their consent.

I am glad that you are walking in your destiny. Thrilled, actually. I love it especially because I remember praying in the Gardens, around the Prayer Tower for the 10-40 window (after you and someone else *explained* it to me... I was so sheltered! lol).

Your heart was for that region 10 years ago. That was birthed in your heart so long ago, and I'm excited to see that seed bloom and that dream labored and birthed into existence!

Angie said...

You people! Always with the birthing and labor talk! You're only two illustrations short of being on the platform at a women's conference!

hahahaha...

Aimee said...

You people? Excuse me?

Brenda Coomer I am not.

I was going to go with the whole seed/plant thing, but in all honesty, it didn't seem appropriate BECAUSE this is such a big, huge God thing. Also, you talk about/teach what you know. I kill plants, but I have labored and given birth. Sorry.

BTW, and I know you know this, even God used the birth/labor illustration. Read Revelation.
:-P

It wouldn't bother me to be on the platform at a Women's Conference. I think that we need people who are more real because women (well, all people, really) need real people who have dealt with real junk and real pain, not the fluffy, foo foo I burned my letter in my dorm room crap.

Angie said...

Ok - you can teach at the next OZ Women's Conference (you earned it by properly writing Revelation instead of Revelations), and you can even use your birthing illustration, but you canNOT use any pantyhose or lipstick illustrations then. AND, you cannot holler, "I am aNOINTed" while thrusting your arms in the air.

Deal?

Aimee said...

Deal!