Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Kurdistan - Chony Bashy?

I read today that David is not going back to our city this fall, but is going to wait until the spring. He was a teacher at an elementary school, teaching music. You might remember when I sort of "discovered" him as being in the same city and Robert said, "Oh I know this guy." Small world and all...And, also he wrote about a fire at the school there this week, and I can only imagine how much harder that much make things feel:


I say, "our city" like I've been there, right? I have dreams about it; I've seen pictures and maps about it; I've seen the people and know some of their names. I wish I knew how it smelled, but even still, I feel like it is my city. (And I hope by now that you all know when I say "our city" what that whole thing refers to. If not, you'll have to do some serious back reading to catch up). I'm not judging David at all for not going back right now. The way he explains it on his blog is just how I've wondered if it can happen for those who come home with plans to return. I've wondered if it could happen just like that for Robert (read: Robert and I). I don't WANT it to...but your LIFE doesn't just stop being your life here in the States, and I wonder if as beautiful as that thing over there is, if life here is just as amazing in a totally different way. I mean, not the STUFF. I think you can get used to not having the stuff (Bob talks like he mostly did). But I wonder if LIFE is just some kind of different GOOD here. David says,
On one hand, I'm disappointed that I'm not going back right away. In a sense, I felt like I'd sabotaged my own efforts by not working hard to get my finances secured. But on the other hand, I don't believe I was ready--emotionally or spiritually--to go back so soon. My lack of motivation to do what was necessary to go back is perhaps an indication of that. There is a real sense of relief, of peace, at being back home for an extended period. I missed being here, perhaps more than I expected I would. Not to mention, the extra time back in the States would allow me more time to visit people, even explore the possibility of a new relationship.
and I wonder if it's just that complicated, and just that simple, all at the same time. That's hard stuff, you know? Can you imagine how conflicted that must make one's heart and spirit? It's okay to miss being home, though; okay to be done with being there if that's what God's told you. Okay to want to go back later and okay to want to go back now but have things that need taken care of first. Okay to be going back as soon as you can!

God - bless David as he works through this and bring him to a place where he is just where you want him to be (which is close to You no matter where he lives and serves). And for the kids that are still there - find a way to let them know it was never about Mr. David; All that happiness and joy - it didn't come from him, but from You. Bring them NEW workers with the SAME joy, so they know that there's just something about You! ;-)

No comments: