Monday, May 22, 2006

Objects In the Rearview Mirror...
(long post. be warned. This might just be an update post...)

I went to lunch with a friend today, and then she took me to Walmart to do some shopping. I bought a mouse last week for my new laptop, only it was for the wrong type of port. I was obviously not paying attention - my laptop doesn't even have that type of port. Duh. SO, I needed to return the mouse, but that's the sort of little trip that I have to plan ahead for since I can't drive. This friend is great. She called yesterday and asked if I needed to go to Walmart for anything and I said no. Only I did, I just didn't think of it at the time. I REALLY did. I need to take care of the mouse, and I need fresh groceries, like fruits and veggies, but I needed to make a list first, and that's the sort of thing I can't do on the spur of the moment when someone calls and is on their way to Walmart. But this friend, like I said, she's great. She asked me again last night after church if I wanted to go today, and so I explained to her WHY I couldn't go last night, that I need to relearn to make lists now, and so YES, I'd love to go today after I had time to make a list. OH! You might not know - my roommate Cristi moved out last week. She moved back home to her parents' house in Texas while she continues to look for a nanny position somewhere. I don't think she likes that much (mostly because she called last night and asked if she could "move home!" She'll get used to it, I guess. God will bring her the right position when it's time.) When she lived here, we could just go to the store whenever. No need for lists. But now, I'll have to do that sort of thing so that when people call and ask if I need to go to the store, I can say "yes," and be able to go according to their schedule. I did buy some great stuff at the store, though. I bought all the stuff to make that dish I get at Macaroni Grill - the grilled salmon with spinach orzo. Well, except the orzo. They didn't have it. Who knew Walmart wouldn't carry orzo? Walmart sucks. My friend agreed, too.


Yes. I guess this IS a post about my trip to Walmart. Kind of. She's a good friend. She makes me think of how a three stranded cord is not easily broken. There is a group of friends here who are like that. Some of them realize that - that they ARE a three stranded cord who will not be easily broken; some of them know that they can be that, but they're scared to draw close to that; and some of them push it away. This friend knows it and draws close to it. She's holy like that.

I sold my car last week, too, in case you didn't know that. A pretty 2003 Honda Accord LX - She went to a good man. It was pretty awful, selling her though. Of course, it was nothing about selling her that was awful - more about what that represented. I really can't drive...so much so that it doesn't make sense for me to even own a car at this point. And as if to punctuate that sentence last week - I had a seizure the day after I finalized the sale of my car. It's the third one like this that I've had (one with Devan, one at El Vaquero with Brandy and Cristi, and then this one). I put off calling the doctor for a few days to tell him; I just didn't want to hear what he'd say. If noone had seen it, I might not have called at all. (Well, if noone had seen it, I wouldn't have known it had happened!) But they did, and it's hard to ignore what other people see, and then to ignore their insistence in calling the doc (and their parent's insistence ;-). I figured I'd just tell him in a few weeks, but they all thought that was a bad idea. HE didn't say anything. He just relayed a message back through his nurses. "Up your medicine 50 mg. a day, and we'll talk more at your appt. June 16. Call immediately if anything else happens." I'm feeling a little of what I feel when he ups the meds - shaky and tingly and tired...but besides that, ok. The type of seizure I had is more silly than anything, at least that's what I think. The people who see it might say otherwise. It feels silly to me because what I experience is so different than what other people see. But the good thing is this - the Dr. didn't say anything about resetting my driving time! hehehehe... that doesn't mean that he WON'T! It just means he didn't. If he goes by his same rule he's used in the past, this means I won't be driving now until October. OCTOBER. That's a year. A year without driving. It's not funny anymore. I'm past "worried" about it. This is just the way it is. Of course, I still PRAY that God would simply HEAL me. In the meantime, I am not going to worry about my seizures or not being able to drive. It wasn't getting me anywhere except more worried.

In other news, I am interviewing for a position with a non-profit downtown as the asst. to the president, and as the exec. asst. to the organization itself. It would be awesome if I got that position. I've found in my years of working so far that I enjoy both types of positions I've held. One is being the team lead, and the other is assisting the team lead. But when I say assisting, I mean being that person's right hand man... er uh.. woman. There's something really energizing about that for me. And this position is working for an organization that empowers OTHER organizations that empower individuals...so that's an interesting slant on the whole non-profit sector that I've not been a part of yet, but that sounds like fun. It's a step up the secular non-profit food chain, if you will. I can get to the position, too, because the bus in front of my apartment goes directly to this office, without any transfers, too (awesome, huh?!). Eventually, it wouldn't even be a bad idea to move down there if I need to... since in December my lease expires and I HAVE to move out (they're turning my apartment complex into condos and I either have to buy or move). I don't know exactly what all is going to be happening in my life over the next ... oh gosh who knows how many months or years - I can't even venture a guess at this point... but this job could be a good thing for NOW. I look at NOW, and this job could fit.

Overall, life is still pretty good. This past year has been WILDLY amazing. I would have never imagined all that has happened would happen, but it has, just like that. I mean, it IS happening, just like it is. And it's GOOOOOD. Really GOOOOOOD, even when it's hard. I hope that everything is going well for you, too. Feel free to share a little about how life is treating you (or don't if you don't want to). I don't know who you all are or where you're coming from, but there's a lot of you out there reading. Well, maybe not STILL reading this post, because it's pretty much the longest post ever on Oz. On that note. C-ya!

1 comment:

Mobea said...

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a front view mirror? I think that would be scarier than looking back. At least this way, we will always have hope. Just remember, you can't enjoy the view from the mountain top until you walk through the valley.
Love,
Mom