Monday, June 26, 2006

APPLES TO APPLES TO APPLES.

This weekend? Well, the monkeys came, hooted and hollered or oofed and awwed, (whatever that sound is that monkeys make), and then left. While they were here, we discovered that Apples to Apples is best not played with just three people. It's really rather dull that way, and so we only played that for about three hands before we quit. But now Scott and Devan know that there's this cool game out there worth owning. Unfortunately, there are no other people in the town where they live, so they had a better chance of comparing Apples to Apples here than there. THERE it would just be Apples. And you know what that leads to? Scott knows. ;-)

While they were here, we went to dinner with the female primate's parents. It took only two hours of deliberations before they got here to decide where we would take them, and because I'm something of a people pleaser like that (and because her parents are a bit picky and like down-home food and because Scott and Dev and I were trying very hard to avoid Bob Evans/Cracker Barrel yet again ((that's where we always go with her parents, and Scott and Dev can go there whenever they want))... I had decided we'd go to Cate's. Then at the last second, I changed my mind and decided Hoggy's because I figured it would have a larger selection of that style of food. Once we got to Hoggy's - it comes out that all her parents really wanted was STEAK, and all Scott and Dev wanted was a salad?! So to Cate's we went. We had a nice dinner and everyone seemed to enjoy their food. Oh - for future reference though, the BBQ Shrimp at Cate's is good, but I wouldn't pay $7.50 for it (we didn't pay for it, Doug had just sent it out to us to try for no good reason!).

On Saturday night I went to church and wondered what the message was about, only to realize that it was "bring a friend" weekend, when the message is aimed specifically at not-yet-believers, and so while of course the gospel is ALWAYS relevant to everyone, the feeling I had of, "HUH?" was fairly valid. Then, some friends and I spent some time downtown. I know that I've said this recently, but our city is beautiful. It is really captivating to stare at during a late, clear night.

Today was Hannah's sixth birthday party.

(that's Hannah at Bob's apartment last year. I love this picture!)

I really don't know how Hannah was manufactured so cute. The big surprise for Hannah (and me!) was a call from Robert! She was kind of speechless and didn't know what to say once he got on the phone with her. Then once she got off the phone with him, she ran over to me straightaway and said, "Do you know who that was? Uncle Bob!?" and after standing there staring at me completely still for a few moments, fell into my lap in a giggly mess.

Good stuff. It felt like a long weekend, and I'll be glad to hit the sack tonight (edited in later while I am correcting typos - I didn't go to sleep for another four or five hours. My sleeping is broken again).

OH! one last thing for this post. Robert and I had booked a hotel in London, but then had the bright idea to try to find a Vineyard family from a local church to stay with instead. So I started emailing churches and/or networking with my friends to see if any of them knew someone who might be interested in hosting us for the time that we're there. "Ka-CHOW!" as Craig might try to say! Just this evening when I arrived home from the party, there was an invitation from a family just outside of the city inviting us! (edited in later: and this morning, she sent me an email telling me about she and her husband and their kids! How exciting!) Holy hospitality, eh? Tom should be careful what he dares us to do, we might just go take him up on it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is monkey one asking what would Scott know if it was just apples? He doesn't even know. Is it a reference to his potty habits or the fact that we would be bored and he'd have to be my amusement machine or maybe it's that he ate my apple without asking and I seriously wanted to cut his throat...I just don't know what Scott knows about apples in small Angola.

Angie said...

I'm saying that if Scott and you were left to play Apples to Apples by yourselve, you might get bored with you and have to find something else to do, at which point, he'd probably FIND something else to do with you, and he has a WORD for that which I don't want him to REPEAT in my presence ever again thank you, but would rather that the two of just eat apples, monkey 1.

Anonymous said...

canoodling

Angie said...

go get your own blog.

where you can say things like naked and canoodling all you want.

Aimee said...

Canoodling?! THAT's the word you don't want him to repeat?!

LOL... man... ok.

Angie said...

No, it's not merely the word. It was Scott's inability to stop at JUST that word. He was quickly moving on. There seems to be something about my friends and the lack of a filter on that part of their mouths. I don't need to hear about the canoodling habits of Scott and Devan, really, I don't.

hahaha...

Aimee said...

LOL... you will probably delete this comment, but that's ok. I totally understand, especially because moms read this, but... don't you know that husbands and wives are *supposed* to be doing that stuff? If they didn't, there would be no more people. lol... a friend of mine who got married last December said that her husband said to her, "Now we can have sanctified sex." Which, in response, I laughed so hard I nearly peed my pants.

NOT ONLY THAT, but we were at a marriage conference once and the guy was like, "You know, when you're making love, Jesus is there, too." Which weirded me out tremendously, I must say. I just can't think about that.

I love how innocent you are, Angie. I can just imagine you sticking your fingers in your ears, saying, "Lalalalala... I can't hear you." Or now, you're probably wanting to gouge your eyes out. Sorry. I *had* to share. You know, it's so Rose Nylund of me.

FWIW, I do want to go on, asking you questions about marriage, wedding, etc., but I won't. You'll explode if I do. ;-)