Sunday, June 04, 2006

RACE FANS, I HAD INFERRED FROM MY ONE TRIP TO THE BRICKYARD 400, FELL INTO ONE OF TWO CATEGORIES: TATTOOED, SHIRTLESS, SEWER-MOUTHED DRUNKS, AND THEIR HUSBANDS. (STEVE RUCCHIN)


It's funny how some things in life never change. It has been twenty years since the last time that my mom and dad tortured me by making me go to a __________ (insert one of the following: drag race, monster truck rally, stock car race, nascar race, funny car race, motorcycle race, tractor pull), and I STILL hate the races. Tonight, some of my friends and I went to the Columbus Motor Speedway to celebrate one of our friend's 30th birthday. It's what she wanted for her birthday, and so it's what we did. This friend leaned down in the middle of the 82nd lap and said, "Thanks for coming. It means a lot that you would because I know that you're hating every minute of this." I told her that yes, indeed, I was hating the EVENT that we were attending, but that I loved her and was happy to be able to make this happen for her, because she really did look happy. I wanted her to understand that the fact that I hate them is not meant to be any sort of judgement against her in any way at all. It's just that I hate them because I hate the LOUDness of them, and the rowdiness of the race itself. I really just DON'T like them, and there's nothing wrong with me not liking races or the race environment any more than there is her loving it. That's all. If the races could be QUIET, and without danger to the drivers or fans, and not take so long? They might fun...and if they could take place on a square field, and if the drivers could have to push around a ball between the corners of the field while trying to score points as they push the ball to the home corner, that would be great. But that would basically be baseball... :-)

Here are some pictures from tonight, just to verify that I was in fact at the races. I had a good time with Megan and the crew tonight (I always do). I hope that she had a good 30th Bday! It was fun despite the event itself. Take a good look, because I will NEVER be posting pictures of myself at the races again.

(Columbus Motor Speedway)

(Megan, the birthday girl, with our friend Rob)

(Craig)

(Brandy couldn't be at the race, but joined us at Perkins for dessert)

(Brandi and I, posin' our mugs for the camera as usual)

2 comments:

Angie said...

and Megan - to get these pictures - just click on them, then right click on them and choose, "save picture as..."

Mobea said...

Angie,
I'm surprised! Why, you were almost born at the race track.
Long story....