Thursday, June 22, 2006

NO MEGAN, I'M NOT UP FOR A CONCERT.

If you click that video, you might be offended. Ok, you've been warned.

It's a parody of a major Christian worship production house. I think it's funny. Megan invited me to a worship concert this week...er, actually, she sort of invited me. She invited the whole crew on the blog, and then when we were together as a group talking about it, she told me that she'd told Craig already, "Yeah, I don't think Angie is the type that would like to go to a worship concert really..."

I think THAT'S funny, because it's as true as it is UNTRUE. This week, it happens to be true. In fact, the very day that she said that, I'd started to blog out this huge post about the latest Cutting Edge.pdf, a magazine published by the National Vineyard office and how it just made me want to puke. Actually, the post was much more reasoned than that. I read it and mused to myself, "It's no wonder the Vineyard is comprised mostly of white late thirty somethings led by aging boomers." I have a growing disdain for the white American church, or maybe just the marketing of the Great White Church. There are places in the article that promote a STYLE of worship as the emerging way of worship and therefore the way to go if you want to grow and reach people (unplugged, reflective, emergent, earthy)...not to mention places where the author describes actual musical techniques that worship leaders should employ to make their worship team better and more able to draw people into the presence of the Lord...only those musical styles -- are styles that stand in opposition to hip hop and pop. If worship leaders employed those techniques, they could not physically draw out a hip hop beat, or string together a pop-sounding song that is also worshipful.

So I guess that in the Vineyard, to these guys, you have to fit this box, or better yet this circle ----> O <----- because there are no boxes in the Vineyard, it's too free flowing for boxes. Did I mention that on both American Top 40 and MTV's TRL, 70% of the songs currently playing are either hip hop or pop? You know the target ages of listeners for those charts are 30 and under? Why can't I go to church and hear a little happy in my beat? Why always with the forlorn acoustic and overlayed harmonies? Or even something that resembles the other 30% of those charts? Maybe a little Coldplay-esque? OH! How about something like Gnarls Barclay! WHY does the church think WORSHIP music has to sound like one dang thing in order for it BE worship!?

Did you know that three of my friends secretly listen to black gospel music, and like it? And when they found out that I do, too, were really happy to know that they weren't freaks? (WELL, you're not off the hook yet guys). They said, "I just love it. It feels so much less fake, like that stuff that we listen to at church. I mean, I like that stuff too, but this is the good stuff." One friend went so far as to say, "I mean, if I were really going through something rough, I wouldn't want someone to bring me some of the music that we hear at church, I'd want them to bring me some of this stuff. It's like what someone would actually SAY to you. This is like a conversation. What God might say."

Now listen, this isn't to say that we have bad or wrong worship music at the Vineyard. It's GOOD, it's RIGHT, it's QUALITY. It's the kind that makes space for you to meet God. But it's not the only kind...and sometimes, it would be really great to have a different kind, and I wonder if we wouldn't have a better representation of the flavors of the earth if we didn't also represent the flavors of worship better, too. I'm not talking about every little niche here, but when 70% of a major emerging market is listening to a type of music that we're just ignoring? Would it hurt to try to bring in a little beat or flava? (Yes, I know. I'm totally white and I just wrote flava. SO. I've got stripes, remember. I can say that and get away with it. Doesn't mean I don't sound like a dope saying it, but I can still say it.)

5 comments:

Aimee said...

Angie, Here, Here! You hit the nail on the head.

FWIW, one of my favorite songs when I'm going through stuff is "Stand," a definite GOSPEL song. I think that people want to overlook the long and rich history of Gospel music. People who write and sing Gospel music have BEEN through SOMETHING. And I'm sorry, but I would rather sing a song by someone who's BEEN there rather than a hippie-ish, folksie song about God's goodness and grace. Yes, He is Good and Gracious... but sometimes the stuff we go through gets messy. I don't need flags or flowy dresses or whatever. I need something solid. And lots of times, I find that in Gospel music.

You're totally right about reaching people where they are. I've heard a lot of arguments about this. It's not Christian music if it doesn't "sound" Christian. I'm like, "C'mon... like you're gonna get a Goth teenager to listen to what you're calling 'Christian'?!" Reach people where they are first. Don't try to change them or tell them this or that is the ONLY right. Let the Holy Spirit change their hearts. THAT's the important thing. People are too caught up in what music is "right" and what looks "Christian" (especially here.. I'm so sick of seeing women and girls in blue jean skirts, long nappy hair and sweatshirts or T-shirts, thinking THAT is "Holy." Grr!)

BTW, Paul loves to listen to Skillet, P.O.D. and other "heavy" Christian artists. I married a metal head. lol.

OTRgirl said...

Mmmm...gospel music! I think you make a whole bunch of great points.

The other missing element: songs that address the sadness in life. I went to a church where they dropped the 'dark' verse in Holy, Holy, Holy:

"Holy, holy, holy! though the darkness hide Thee,
Though the eye of sinful man Thy glory may not see;
Only Thou art holy; there is none beside Thee,
Perfect in power, in love, and purity."

That PISSED me off. Cause guess what? Sometimes the darkness DOES overwhelm but its good to remember that the Lord is bigger than my darkness. The church wants to ignore that and do happy happy clap clap Sundays that rarely feed my soul and don't seem to reflect the passionate, mysterious, overpowering God of the Bible.

Tangentially related: as a teenager I came to the Lord in the midst of my punk-rock rebellion. It was hugely life-giving for me to go to the Cornerstone music festival and realize I could be a Christian and still wear black clothes. I lived in fear of the pink polo and khaki slacks.

Angie said...

PLEASE DON'T PASS ME BY
There was a blind man on the road side, and he heard a commotion yeah
It was Jesus passing by with a crowd and it stirred his emotions
He'd been displaced his whole life, should he even try
Ohhhhh

Don't bother Jesus (they say you have nothing)
You have nothing to offer (stay in your place)
Right then he knew(he had to choose)
He had nothing to lose

So he cried Jesus(Jesus), I need you, (yeah ah) please don't pass me by
He cried out Jesus, I'm not ashamed(to tell you) I need you in my life
(I need you in my life yeah)

I'm not much different from that man, and this is the honest truth
Could this sinful one, with this messed up life, could I ever serve you
(Oh oh oh oh)people and things clutter my mind, should I even try
Ohhhhhh

Don't bother Jesus (they say you have nothing)
You have nothing to offer (stay in your place)
I must admit (when I think about it all)
I need you in my life

So I cry Jesus(Jesus), I need you
Please don't pass me by
I'm crying out Jesus, I'm not ashamed to tell you I need you in my life

As the deer (as the deer panted)
Thirsty for the water yeah(thirsty for the water)
My soul desires and longs to be(to be with you)

Jesus, I need you, please don't pass me by
I don't mean to waste your time but I can't listen to the crowd,
situations in my life telling me to keep it down
but I need you

I know I'm broken, but you can heal me, Jesus, Jesus I'm calling you
(I might not be worth much)might not be worth much, but I'm still willing
Jesus, Jesus, I'm calling you

Angie said...

OTRgirl:

True, true...

It's not just asking for "happy gospel music" is it. I think that in gospel music, one can find a lot of authenticity. One of my fav. gospel songs (and one that I used in a one of my last messages for my high schoolers), was that song above "Please Don't Pass Me By," by Fred Hammond. Encouraging our students to bring their CRAP to Jesus and just cry out to him, just like Bartimaeus in Mark 10...even though the world, and sometimes even the church would tell them to shut up.

But...I didn't find that song on the pop Christian rack. I had to look beyond to the gospel racks.

And yes, absolutely, I agree about the punk rock scene, too. Do you know how many times I've had to tell a parent, "YES, it really is possible that your child can LOVE JESUS, wear all black, paint their fingernails black and wear a collar. In fact, I've met some amazing youth pastors who do the same."

Aimee said...

Interesting convo you've started, Ang. ;-)

Funny, too, because my Dad and I were talking about authenticity in the church this afternoon.

He said that there are several people in his church who, when approached or asked to help by a brother or sister, respond with "Go read your Bible and pray."

HUH?

There's not enough space in this comment section about that.

I completely agree with OTRgirl about the happy happy clap clap Sunday stuff.

I think that's why I love the song "Held" by Natalie Grant. I mean, not many people will talk about the death of a child, but this is stuff Christians go through, just like everybody else.

Angie... remember at ORU how we talked about being REAL? Funny how that is still so true today. Seems most Christians don't want to be real. Sure, it makes us vulnerable, but how else are we going to be healed, cleaned up, redeemed and ready to go out into the world to bring others in?!

ESPECIALLY when people are afraid that Christians and "the church" won't understand how they feel. If only we could be transparent enough that they could see we've been there and we've gone through what they have and with the help of Christ Jesus, we're on the other side.

You've read my little rant on my blog about how the church pretends things don't happen. I long for the day when we face all issues and all problems head on. Maybe THEN we will get somewhere. Not just with music (tho that's a great place to start), but with LIVES.