Thursday, June 22, 2006

LONG POST FOR THE INTERESTED ONLY...

Apparently my pals over at the YMX have been been having a mildly interesting conversation in a thread that originally started out as "I don't support our troops," (a conversation I obviously wouldn't jump into. Doesn't that smack of being inflammatory, especially when had with a bunch of mostly male youth pastors who usually don't know jack about world history, politics, military strategy or missions, yet like to play like they do). But, in just the last few posts it evolved into something interesting. I didn't even know - another friend IM'ed me and told me to go read it, because he knew I'd be interested. XX reamed me a few months ago for saying there is a place for missionaries who go to countries and don't do strict open air evangelism and the like, but rather serve the people and build relational bridges towards the gospel (and also share the gospel as quickly as possible)...so the way this post evolves is crazy. Remember, when you start reading, you're jumping into a convo about our military presence in other countries and so on...

GraceSeeker: If you mean with any other groups, I would say that there have been successes. Notably Camp David accords that have kept Israel and Egypt and Israel and Jordan at peace with each other for years. Libya is no longer the beligerant it once was. Turkey has become one of our stronger allies. Conversation is what finally quieted Northern Ireland. And it was the Marshall plan, not a marshalling of troops that won the peace at the end of WW2. A similar strategy with the mideast at that same time, rather than carving it up into "protectorates" might have made for a better more peaceful world today.

XX: Peacemaking doesn't just involve governments signing treaties. It may involve para-government humanitarian troops representing, not the American people, but the kingdom of God. It may involve working behind the scenes and under the radar providing a better life for people. Usually, when people are confortable with life (not desparate), they are not easily swayed by ideaologues promoting violence. Unfortunately, when people are confortable, they are also not easily swayed into leaving their confortable lives to promote the kingdom of God (yes, I include myself in that category).

dkst0426: Hmm.........you do realize that in certain parts of the world, regardless of whether or not there is American involvement in such a group/organization/effort, it's going to be viewed as a precursor for a newer version of the Crusades, right?

XX: Yeah, all that handing out food and medical care to the poor and destitute is easily confused with European armies marching in to protect the Holy Land from Muslim conquerors.

dkst0426: You will please note the use of the word "precursor." The sentence did NOT read "...it's going to be viewed as a newer version of the Crusades..." How long before anyone accepting such assistance is denounced as an apostate? And how long before one--just ONE--mullah or imam or Ayatollah with a microphone begins the rhetoric of "This is just the first step"? Of course I'd support such a mission. Heck, the adventurous streak in me thinks I'd even like to sign up for that, but do you deny that what I just posited above could very likely happen?

XX: Honestly, I could see it happening and being effective in small portions of the Middle East for a short period of time. In the long run, I don't see it having much effect. But hey, the Romans claimed early Christians were cannibals, and we know how that strategy ultimately worked.

dkst0526: So what would these peacemakers be doing? Bringing about a detente, or converting Muslims?

XX: There will be some conversions, but that will be secondary to caring for orphans, providing medical care, offering food, creating job opportunities, rebuilding or building schools, water pumps, power plants. Then, when the conversions happen and the fatwas are declared, people will stop and think, "These people care about me, my family, and this community, and the Islamic leaders only care about subjegating me. Hmm . . ." Of course, there will be martyrs. It will get ugly. That is only to be expected when the Church is doing its job.

GraceSeeker: OK, Sam [XX], I was agreeing with you for most of what you were saying. But this idea that the Church might have to be willing to lay down its life in order to gain something bigger than life. That's crazy talk. Where did you come up with something like that?

XX: It was in this book I read.
__________________________________________________

Now, in another thread, posted a short while after this one, XX posted this:
I NEED TO LEAVE AMERICA:
Not for good, but I need to go on a mission trip. The only one I've ever been on was one mission trip to Mexico in high school. That was just to build houses. It was a good experience, but I never really interacted with the people there. I just blended into the group I was with. To be honest, I've been too comfortable and too scared to go on another. Now . . . I think its time. So I'm asking for prayer for this. Prayer that if this is what God wants me to do, he'll open the doors and let me know where and when to go.

Of course, you can imagine imagine the chuck of real estate where I encouraged him to go. Not just our chunk, but the broader chunk of the 10/40. Let's see if he'll put money where his very loud mouth is. He could be one that goes there. He's bold enough, I just know it. This is a very BIG change of heart for XX, actually...and a change like this might as well go where it has space to breathe.

No comments: