Monday, June 26, 2006

PROOF POSITIVE THAT I'M A TOTAL NERD
(and that I should get a job a soon).


If you happened to catch my long explanation of why I wanted to attend William and Mary, you'll know why this post is freaking awesome. If not, eh.

DID YOU KNOW THAT THEY FOUND JAMESTOWN? It's NOT underwater in the James River like they thought it was? It's true! Check it out!? I mean, if you're bored like I am and have nothing else to do. See the yellow outlines? Yeah. "I once was lost, but now I'm found" Jamestown.

When we lived in Virginia and toured Jamestown, we (and by we, I mean ALL the little school children in Virginia) were taught that the Jamestown settlement was just off the riverbank, settled in the James River, and the forts, houses, and stockhouses we were looking at were recreations because the actual settlement would never really be found. Well, look at that! MOM!!! Why did have to move to freaking Ohio! If we had stayed in Virginia, in 1994 when they rediscovered Jamestown, I would have been touring it with my History class, I'm sure, since we lived 20 minutes from it. They found the whole freaking thing! It didn't even make the news here?! How can that NOT be NATIONAL BREAKING NEWS?! Mr. G and Mr. Allen didn't even talk about it in class did they, Dev? They probably didn't even know. Stupid Northridge. :-( And yes, I know - I am "picking up some good things here in Ohio." But, the knowledge that Jamestown has been discovered? Not one of them until just now. Oh well. Next time I'm in Virginia, the REAL Jamestown is on my list.

6 comments:

OTRgirl said...

Proof that I'm also a nerd--I get Smithsonian magazine, and they had an article about the discovery of Jamestown. Its pretty cool (well, hot for the archeologists in Virginia. In the summer)!

Anonymous said...

yeah can't say that I ever learned anything about Jamestown except--didn't Pocahontas run into the pilgrims at Jamestown?

that's it for my history knowledge, I'm out.

rdmeeker said...

WOW! They found Jamestown!?! I am so excited I think I may have peed myself a little.

Now my whole day seems...

What's the word? Brighter?

no

More complete?

no

Super-awesome?

no

exactly the same as before the news?

yeah, I think that's it. My day is exactly the same as it was before the news...

Sorry, Jamestown nerds.

Angie said...

This from the man who got excited over Tuna Fish in brine versus sunflower oil.

Yeehaw.

Angie said...

You leave in 15 days, don't you!?
(She says as the evening is about to roll over onto Wednesday, June 28, and is already there for you).

Holy crap.

Aimee said...

LOL, Angie. LOL about the brine. That's pretty funny.