Friday, June 09, 2006

I KNOW WHAT I WAS FEELING...BUT WHAT WAS I THINKING?
That about sums up Thursday, huh? ;-)

So, it's 1:30AM on Thursday night/Friday morning, and I'm still pretty much WIDE AWAKE. "WHY!?" you might wonder.

It's the X-Men's fault.

Yeah. The X-Men. Blasted X-Men! Brandi and I went to see X-Men III tonight around 9:30, got home around 11:30, and I'm still awake. Can I just say that the X-Men movies continue to live up to the hype? I'm not going to give away anything because I know that there is a particular reader who will not have the opportunity to see the movie in all of its glory until he gets home, but...really?! It's pretty great.

In other movie related news...


A Prairie Home Companion comes out today (Friday). This is one of those movies you have to see with a particular (maybe even peculiar) person, or just see it by yourself. Not just everyone appreciates Prairie Home Companion in the first place, right? And, those people who who DON'T usually make fun of those of us who do, so they definitely wouldn't get the movie. Where's Patrick when you need him?? (Yet another reason to hate Texas).

And, speaking of people that I hardly ever see. The big news yesterday was that Al-Zarqawi was killed, of course, but did you notice that the USS Cole was sent back into service? My dad repaired the Cole, did you know that? He's a welder. I think he is most proud of this job, partly because in order to work on that particular ship, he had to be naval nuclear certified (or something like that, I don't know. It's kind of gibberish to me, to be honest. He said it's a very high level of certification and that only six or seven guys in VA have it, and that it also comes with a big old security clearance.) When I saw him last March, he showed me pictures of the Cole, and of the work he and his crew did on the interior damage (obviously the exterior damage had to be repaired enough before it left Yemen for it to sail home to Langley). He also thought it a particular "kick" to be able to weld new, bigger guns onto the top of the ship. Dad's a rowdy guy, so I guess HE WOULD think welding these guns that are bigger than he is onto a battleship so "it could steam back out there and blow the motherf-ing heads off those sons of b-tc-es" as he put it was kind of cool.

Anyway, 365 days a year most years, I'd have no idea where to find my dad if I needed to find him. I have to just call and leave a message at whatever phone number I happen to have for him that year (or, the better option, which is to leave a message at Granpa's, still not always a safe bet, depending on if they're on good terms at the time). NOT TODAY. I think I could have found my dad today. Today, I'd lay money on the idea that my dad was in a boat somewhere within eyeshot of the Cole leaving port at Langley. I remember many days on the boat taking a cruise past the Navy piers just to gaze at those ships. Those ships are HHHHUUUUUGGGGEEEE HUGE! even the smallest ones are so much larger than you'd imagine them being on the television. Yeah, I'll bet that's where he was today, cruising around the bay, with a Sunkist and peanuts in one hand...some Lynyrd Skynyrd playing on his old radio...saying "see ya you old lady" to that ship that he worked so hard to fix. Well, maybe it's not a Sunkist exactly...

5 comments:

Angie said...

BRANDI!!!!!!
I'M GOING TO SPEAK IN CODE!
LET'S SAY THAT WE'RE PLAYING CHESS... ONLY IT'S NOT me PLAYING CHESS... IT'S SOMEONE ELSE PLAYING!!! SOMEONE ELSE ENTIRELY!!!!

LIKE...MAYBE IT'S SOMEONE REALLY SMART... AND MAYBE HE TRIED TO TELL US ABOUT HOW HE WAS GOING TO BE PLAYING CHESS WITH YOU WHEN WE WERE WITH HIM BEFORE... IN THAT ROOM WITH EVERYONE ELSE THERE, TOO... BUT HE GOT INTERRUPTED, YOU KNOW...BECAUSE THE WEATHER GOT BAD, BECAUSE THERE WAS A STORM AND WE HAD TO GO???

!!!!!!! Ok. I can go to bed now. Good night everyone.

OTRgirl said...

I want to see X-men! But I suppose I should see it with my boy. Which means not til next weekend.

He's also someone who would NOT be into Prairie Home Companion, but I'm excited to see that one. I've heard that Meryl and Lili are hilarious together.

Angie said...

OH! Have you seen the previews for PHC? They're beautiful! And, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but Lindsay Lohan appears to be redeeming herself after all of her flops recently. If THIS is why she's been so awful lately (because she's been concentrating on this movie, and just been doing some other films to put bread on the table, but not had time to do them well), then I'll forgive her.

Aimee said...

Heehee... I did the same thing when we saw X-M3 last Saturday. Glad it got you too. ;-)

I'd like to see PHC, but you're totally right. I'll probably go see it by myself.

I've never been a LL fan, but I might be impressed if her work is really good. Meryl Streep, TLJ, Kevin Kline and Lilly Tomlin.. I can hardly wait.

Actually, I'd kind of like to see The Breakup, just because of the plot... you break up but neither one will move out. Sounds funny.

Angie said...

Follow up to this post.

My "code" to Brandi was apparently TOTALLY wrong. There was an extra scene in Xmen that we didn't see (we left before the credits rolled because we didn't know about it). I thought we DID see it, and I thought it was the scene where Magneto returned and was playing chess at the end... So what I was thinking was that Xavier came back and put his mind in Magneto's still alive body - which would have just been NUTTY for Xmen 4.

But, in reality, the REAL deleted scene was better. Not that I saw it, but I was told about it, and I was at least on the right track with Xavier doing something with his consciousness being put into a well body. I just had the body wrong.